Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys | Teen Ink

Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys

By D.Sonia BRONZE, Calgary, Other
D.Sonia BRONZE, Calgary, Other

Between Shades of Gray is an inspirational and captivating novel that takes place in 1941. Readers will be taken on a journey with Lina, an artistic fifteen year old Lithuanian girl who is stripped away from her father when Soviet officers break into their home.
She is forced onto a train with her mother and younger brother to head up north to a work camp. There Lina and her family are forced to work in harsh conditions under a man named Stalin.
This novel explores great strength and courage over a period of time. Lina soon begins to use art to her favor and documents events that she hopes will make it to her father’s prison camp; so he knows they're alive.
This is a novel full of hope and ever-lasting relationships. Ruta Sepetys expresses to us virtues that one should possess to get through the many hard-ships in life. Between Shades of Gray is one of those novels that seems very realistic to the reader. You become attached to all the characters.
The beauty of Lina’s character is that you can connect to her. I felt like Lina was sitting beside me and narrating her story. Ruta Sepetys conveys many magical bonds and relationships through her characters in this novel.
Between Shades of Gray always kept me wanting more. The characters were molded up beautifully and all were very unique. This book truly captured my heart and was one that I can recommend to anybody.
With many ups and downs, Between Shades of Gray is a novel with a message that will always be close to your heart.