Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace | Teen Ink

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

By ShiyiL BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
ShiyiL BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

True to its title, Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace provides not only 1100+ pages of inimitable entertainment, but also endless wisdom and literary gratification through its expansive themes and breathtaking prose. Largely classified as a post-modern classic, this novel exemplifies the technique of narrative fragmentation as it traces two tangentially-related plotlines and vacillates boldly between the past, present and future. The novel’s idiosyncratic characters and storylines present a penetrating, ingenious satire of social norms and highlight the absurdities of modern reality. Hal Incandenza, protagonist, a genius teenage tennis prodigy at Enfield Tennis Academy reduced to a creature incapable of speech aside from incoherent animal gurgling, embodies those haunted and eventually crushed by the engulfing societal pressure to pursue fame, wealth and, contingently, happiness. His family is a satire of American dysfunctionalities; his eccentric filmmaker father, James, commits gruesome and ludicrous suicide; his comically, hideously deformed brother, Mario, ironically becomes the glue that binds the rest of the family, which includes his mother Avril, obsessive-compulsively protective and outrageously promiscuous, and brother Orin, a womanizer with a special attraction to young mothers.

On the opposite spectrum, Wallace paints a poignant picture of poverty and addiction-engendered desperation in the Ennet House Drug and Alcohol Recovery House (redundancy sic). The protagonist Don Gately, a former addict, thief and debt collector, current counselor at Ennet, emerges as a hero; his valiant journey to salvation and inherent sense of good masked by a coarse, uneducated temperament debunk common stereotypes of social delinquents.

Loosely connecting the two worlds, a brutal chase for James’ final work Infinite Jest, a deadly film that shatters the mind via overwhelming ecstasy, pans out between a quadruple agent Remy Marathe and a terrorist group, ironically composed of formidable yet crippled soldiers on wheelchairs. The setting is in a future in which US, Mexico and Canada is united, when the southeastern territory of Canada is relegated to serve as the continent’s toxic waste dump known as “the Great Concavity,” and preposterous myths of wolf-sized rat packs, the improbably deformed, and gigantic man-eating babies run rampant in the risible panorama of society. As readers are inundated with the surreal, bizarre yet logically sound elements of Infinite Jest, it becomes essential to refrain from imposing a conventional sense of order upon the novel’s fragmentation to appreciate its premise. Once one learns to step back and enjoy the caprice of the plot, beauty and meaning invariably manifest from its ostensible chaos.

Wallace’s language prowess in Infinite Jest illuminates even the most mundane events into the pinnacle of literary acuity. His piercing wisdom congeals the fleeting, fragmented wisps of ideas in one’s mind and sparks galvanizing epiphanies of insight on almost every page. Succinct phrases of revealing sagacity, such as “please learn the pragmatics of expressing fear: sometimes words that seem to express really evoke” and “logical validity is not a guarantee of truth,” are ubiquitous, yet Wallace’s humble and casual style dismisses any irritating notion of pretense and pedantry.

With central themes of addiction, disorder and desperation, Infinite Jest’s honesty and dark beauty exerts an indelible, transformative emotional impact. Wallace’s unabashedly forthright portrayal of the grimness of addiction and desolation is intimate and disturbing. Pain and weariness pervade every circumstance, in Hal’s interminable sport and academic stress, in Gately’s struggle for recuperation from former substance abuse. Yet, hope soars from the chasm of misery as the afflicted boldly persists despite an unassailably bleak future. Wallace’s precise encapsulation of man’s intricate psyche sweeps readers into a labyrinth of dementia and devastation; readers come to internalize the protagonists’ suffering and, accordingly, their journeys of recovery. Infinite Jest presents an odyssey through the nadir of darkness, transcending the quotidian into a larger question of survival and identity in a universe where entropy reigns supreme. It is a microcosm of modern society’s impersonal harshness, yet also of courage and resilience, of optimism despite impossible odds. Readers emerge matured, strengthened and above all, sanguine.

Finally, Wallace’s sarcastic, brilliant humor teaches readers to not read and eat simultaneously in proximity of people more effectively than any social propriety ad. In describing messy eating: “they’re by themselves at a small table, utensils glittering amid a kind of fine mist or spray.” In picturing the cross-eyed: “he could stand in the middle of the week and see both Sundays.” In appraising Gately’s cooking: “the kind of food that helps you really appreciate whatever you are drinking along with it.” Yet, Wallace’s humor also evokes bitter throbs in the heart; in between heaves of laughter, through tears that invariably emerge, readers will be struck with the vision of Wallace passionately pouring onto the page his loving, longing anxiety for life, his grin mischievous yet wistful.