The Princess Frog by E.D. Baker | Teen Ink

The Princess Frog by E.D. Baker

By vancheeseify SILVER, Hoffman Estates, Illinois
vancheeseify SILVER, Hoffman Estates, Illinois

The Frog Princess is your classic fairy tale about a princess who kisses a frog prince and turns into—surprise!—a frog. Princess Emeralda, or Emma for short, is quirky, clumsy, and snorts when she laughs—not your typical princess. Stressed as she is being harassed by her mother and her royal heritage, she visits a swamp every now and then to cool off. One day after her mom announces to the entire castle that she is betrothed to Prince Jorge, a rude and stuck-up snot, she runs away back to the swamp to hide from her family and everyone out searching for her. She just so happens to come across a talking frog who claims to be Prince Eadric, a prince who has recently gone missing from a neighboring kingdom. He tells her that he was placed under a spell for back sassing a witch and if she kisses him that he will become a prince once more. On a whim she kisses him to see if he really will turn back into his human form—I mean, what could possibly go wrong? But because she is wearing a reverse spell bracelet given to her by her Aunt Grassina, she instead turns into a frog. In the book, the two frogs go on a quest to track down Mudine, the witch responsible for their current dilemma. Becoming a frog has its downfalls, including new dangers awaiting the pair. Now Emma has to face new situations and problems that she has never had to worry about before as a human.

Yes, this is a children’s book. I read this book when I was probably about ten or eleven and I really liked it, so I decided to read it again after all those years. My views on this book definitely have changed since the last time I read it. I figured that since I loved it when I was little that rereading it maybe it would bring back memories to me. After reading the book over, I soon realized that it just doesn’t have the same effect on me as it did when I was younger and when I had a wider range of imagination. The story is extremely predictable but hilarious in the sense that I enjoyed it but for the wrong reasons—at times it was so cheesy it was almost as if it was mocking me. Even though the book was obviously written for children and not for teenagers, the book still entertained me. Despite its childish flaws, the book as a whole kept me up at night laughing the pages away. I think maybe I’ll read it once more in ten or so more years.