Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell | Teen Ink

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

January 15, 2013
By Anonymous

1984 by George Orwell
We have read about times in history when the government censored its people, ruling them with an iron fist. However, have you ever thought about the possibility of a future with extreme censorship? 1984, by George Orwell gives you a taste of what this would be like and the hardships of trying to escape it.
1984 takes place in London, England (Airstrip One) where the people are constantly being watched by the Party, who are lead by Big Brother. The people in this dystopian society have strict rules and live by 9 magic words, “War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength”. It is human nature to break rules, and this is exactly what our protagonist, Winston, does.
One reason I love this book is that there are constant twists and turns. You are never given a chance to get a true understanding of a character until the end. Orwell sets the story in a place that has so many unanswered questions just waiting to be answered. I also enjoy the feeling you get when you read this book; you start to really think about the society we live in today.
I recommend this book because it contains every kind of genre. There is sci-fi, romance, mystery, and even a little politics. You are always immersed in the story because of its crazy turn of events.
So who is Big Brother? Why is their world the way it is? What happens to Winston along the way? You’ll just have to read 1984, a startling story about a man in an insane upside down world, to find out.