<i>Sarah's Key</i> by Tatiana de Rosnay | Teen Ink

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay MAG

By marissalovessprinkles GOLD, Castro Valley, California
marissalovessprinkles GOLD, Castro Valley, California

Most people remember just one person from World War II: Hitler. What he did to the Jewish people of Europe was horrendous. However, many fail to remember, or may not even know, that the French government played a role in helping send thousands of Jews to concentration camps. In Sarah's Key, author Tatiana de Rosnay does a remarkable job of bringing to light the horrors that took place in France, intertwining the story of a young girl in 1942 and a present-day journalist.

Sarah Starzynski is ten years old and French-born. She is also Jewish. On the night of the Vel' d'Hiv roundup, she and her parents are taken from their apartment. Before they leave, Sarah locks her brother in their hiding place – a cabinet – and, thinking they will be home for breakfast, tells him she will be back. As her story progresses, things grow grim. Sarah is separated from her parents and sent to a concentration camp. They never return to the apartment.

Julia Jarmond is a journalist living in Paris, assigned to write a story on the roundup, since the sixtieth commemoration is coming up. While digging up facts and stories from those who saw or survived the ordeal, she learns that her family is more connected to the events than she could have ever thought possible. Once she learns the truth, there is no turning back.

Tatiana de Rosnay masterfully weaves these two stories into one. I love how she writes the tale in two different time periods and perspectives – Sarah's and Julia's. Historical fiction never interested me before I read this fascinating piece of literature.

As the story concludes, de Rosnay gives closure to this tragic set of events that will weigh on your heart. Reading this book will give you a profound and heartbreaking new perspective on the Holocaust. Although I cried during some parts, I loved every page.