The Fallen by Paul Langan | Teen Ink

The Fallen by Paul Langan

January 12, 2013
By ShawtyMarie BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
ShawtyMarie BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Why write books with so much drama, tragedy and violence. Well, Paul Langan’s stories reflect his personal experience, including the difficulties of growing up without a father and the many challenges students faced in school. The Fallen, A Bluford High Series is written by Langan. He was born in Philadelphia in 1972 and spent most of his early childhood in that city before moving with his mother to southern New Jersey.

The Fallen takes place in Bluford High School where Martin Luna, the main character of the book, looks at school as his prison. Martin is a gangbanger who always gets in trouble in school for fighting so much with others. He hangs out with the wrong crowd is careless, and doesn’t care about the consequences. One summer day, Martin his so-called “Family,” main homies Frankie and Chago as well as his little brother Huero went to a party. Frankie is known as the bully. He is the very serious one, but doesn’t show up to school and beats on weaker kids.

At that party, Frankie and Cesar were talking trash to each other. Suddenly, Frankie takes it too far and cripples Cesar with a kick. Since then Cesar’s friends wants revenge so he goes after Frankie. They find him on Martin’s block -- and BAM! Bullets are fired and Martin’s younger brother is shot dead. Because of this Martin has so many struggles everywhere as if his world is crashing every second of the day. For example, in the streets, at school and at home along with his mother with no help from anyone while she suffering from the pain of her younger son’s death.

This story pulled my attention for so many reasons. First off, it includes so much great details that it makes you feel like you are inside the book. And many teens can relate to this story of street violence and relationships. To me, this book triggered me like no other book I have read. I actually felt the character’s pain and everything they went through. I felt all the emotions. I couldn’t even imagine losing one of my younger siblings, and seeing my mother suffer so much through each day that goes by. I can’t even imagine myself still living while going through all this. My favorite part of this book was honestly the whole book itself. It’s just that interesting.

This book is absolutely worth reading. This book changed the way I viewed life, I now look at most situations like whatever. At times I may feel and think I’m alone, but now I sort of think twice because all around the world someone else can be going through the same situation or even worse. I just look at life like you just have to let it be life. Nothing is ever perfect.