Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card | Teen Ink

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

By JoshZ BRONZE, Castro Valley, California
JoshZ BRONZE, Castro Valley, California

Cunning. Ruthless. Genius. All qualities found in 6-year-old child prodigy Ender Wiggin. Ender’s Game, the sci-fi novel written by Orson Scott Card, depicts the tale of Ender’s ascendence through the ranks of the International Fleet. The countries on Earth have joined together to fight the “Buggers,” an alien race who came close to destroying Earth 80 years before Ender was born. Ever since, the smartest children have been selected to be put through the rigorous regimen of Battle School, in hopes that they would someday become commander of the fleet. Born as a third child where two are the norm, Ender was permitted to be conceived by the government, who expected he would someday join the International Fleet. At age 6 he was deemed ready, and chosen to go into outer space to train at the famed Battle School, where all officers of the Fleet are trained. Now, Ender has become their only hope, quickly becoming the best kid in school while facing hostility from peers and teachers alike. However, he is being rushed through Battle School faster than any child has before.

Ender’s Game puts you in the mind of a prodigy, the last hope for Earth against an all-consuming alien race. Yet away from his moments of brilliance, we are reminded that Ender is still a child. Orson Scott Card explores the feelings of a child’s creativity, perseverance, and willingness go continue when things get tough. All students and most adults can relate to these feelings, making Ender’s Game the perfect read for students and adults alike.

As a strictly fantasy reader, I was hesitant to read Ender’s Game. Yet it was recommended to me by a peer countless times, and I finally gave in. After reading, I regretted having not taken her suggestion sooner. Ender’s Game is a novel for readers of all genres, and a book that should be a required read for all teens.