My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult MAG

By pbrown12 BRONZE, Bangor, Maine
pbrown12 BRONZE, Bangor, Maine

Imagine if you were born with the purpose of sacrificing yourself for your sister. Anna has had to deal with this knowledge for the 13 years of her life. She has to provide blood, cell, and organ donations for her 16-year-old sister, Kate, who is diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia.

Anna is caught in the dilemma of deciding whether to donate a kidney to save Kate's life. Anna is tired of being used, but will she sue her parents to free herself from a life as a bag of spare parts?

In this remarkable masterpiece, we see not only Anna's view, but also the thoughts of her conflicted mother, stressed father, and troubled brother.

Important moral questions are raised, and the answers are not clear-cut. This book reminds me of a good science experiment, with “sympathy” being the variable. Ever notice that when you read a book from the protagonist's point of view, you end up sympathizing with them? My Sister's Keeper provides all the characters' feelings surrounding the conflict and lets you decide where your sympathy lies.

My Sister's Keeper made me laugh, cry, and think about the moral implications of this dilemma. It is one of the most thought-provoking books I have read. Picoult's concise writing gives you insight into how these artfully spun characters think, feel and react.

This book is sprinkled with bittersweet emotional moments. Tiny phrases grab your heart and twist you deeper into the story. Insights into human nature invite you to think about life and morality. My reaction to this book is one of respect, admiration, deep intrigue, and emotion. I couldn't get enough of it.

juneday GOLD said...
on Jan. 15 2013 at 5:13 pm
juneday GOLD, Barrington, Rhode Island
I read this book, too...I thought that Anna's mother's reflections were the most interesting and well - written. There was a great twist at the end that I didn't expect! However, I totally did not understand the whole Campbell/Julia thing. It was totally random and turned parts of what could have been a thought - provoking book into a bad soap opera.