Blood on the River by Elisa Carbone | Teen Ink

Blood on the River by Elisa Carbone

By sydni smith BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
sydni smith BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

This book review is over Blood on the River by Elisa Carbone. This book is amazing for teens and adults.

Elisa Carbone takes the readers way back to 1607. Samuel Collier, a twelve year old orphan gets the opportunity to aboard the Susan Constant to settle for a new world and becomes a page for Captain John Smith. As Samuel a boards the Susan Constant, one of the three ships bound to explore the new world, on the journey he experiences death, sickness, joy, and also comes close with Jesus. Samuel not only realizes who he really is, but that he can be whoever he wants to be in Jamestown.

To me the author achieved his goal by getting his point across. The book was powerful with a lot of meaning and also the book is very detailed. Elisa Carbone tells the story through Captain John Smith’s eyes. She tells it like she experienced everything, and knows exactly what happened. Sometimes the author didn’t explain why some events happened the way they did.

Overall, I think Blood on the River was fantastic. I wouldn’t mind reading it again or even two times! Reading blood on the river will make you understand everything thoroughly. It has fictional events but I’m pretty sure you can tell where they are. I also think a lot of readers can relate to Samuel as he takes this journey.