The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Life heats up in The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah. The 368-page novel focuses on a drug-dealer's daughter, Winter Santiaga, who is having some issues after her dad is sent to prison. For one, her little sisters are placed in foster care. The author is a ­political activist and educator of disadvantaged youth. The Coldest Winter Ever is considered the “poppin” novel of
hip-hop culture.

This best-selling book marked her fiction debut. Also a former rapper, she wrote this as realistic fiction with a message: remember that for every action there is a reaction.

Winter Santiaga was always spoiled and given the easy way out. When her father goes to prison, she has to learn how to live the hard way. I felt like Winter was actually talking to me and telling me what she was going through. The book showed me that even friends aren't always going to be there for you.