The Hunger Games | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games

By Kassidi BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia
Kassidi BRONZE, Elkview, West Virginia

Katniss Everdeen is a girl that lives in Panem. In Panem, there are 12 districts, and Katniss lives in District 12. Every year, there is a battle called the Hunger Games. You are supposed to try and kill everyone, so you can win and stay alive. Before the games, they have a reaping to decide who is going to be in it. Her little sister, Primrose, was only entered once. Everyone thought she had no chance of getting stuck in the games. At the reaping, they happened to choose the one card that said “Primrose Everdeen” Katniss volunteered to replace her sister in the games, so Prim didn’t have to die. Prim wasn’t a very good hunter, so she didn’t really have a chance at winning the games. So as you can see, even the beginning of this book is fantastic, and it reels you in to read more.
Overall, this is a very good book. I’m not looking at just the plot of the book, but the whole story is very detailed, and that helps you to understand it more. I read the book in one night, and I’m almost positive there is nothing in the book that I didn’t understand. It was very clear to see what the Author meant. The author, Suzanne Collins, has been writing children’s television since 1991. As you can tell by the book, she had quite a bit experience. She was born in 1962, so she was about 29 when she started writing children’s television.
I think that this book is probably the best I have ever read. It definitely proves to be a good book, with a good plot. Through the whole book, you’re left in suspense. You don’t want to even put the book down. You just want to read the whole thing at once. It is a book I would recommend reading.
The Hunger Games is just a wonderful book in all. I have heard from a few people that their favorite part of the book is the romance between Katniss and Peeta, the baker’s son. Once I read the next two books, I will probably read this one again. The story behind it makes me wish there was never an end to the books. In the end of the book, you will understand what I mean by everything I’ve been saying.
I would really recommend The Hunger Games. It is a very good book to read. It’s suspenseful, and keeps you wanting to read it. I will definitely read it again!