The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

December 21, 2012
By Anonymous

Seven demigods shall answer the call. To storm or fire, the world must fall. An oath to keep with a final breath, and foes bear arms to the Doors of Death. When I finished the Percy Jackson series I didn’t understand what this meant, but after reading The Mark of Athena it makes so much sense. In the book, Rick Riordan does a phenomenal job of bringing the prophecy into play in the third book of The Lost Hero series.

The book starts out as Camp Jupiter and Camp Half-blood come together because Camp Half-blood wants to make an alliance with Camp Jupiter so they can fight the earth titan Gaea and destroy her plans. That doesn’t really work out and it starts another war with the two camps. Their only hope now is to find Athena Parthenos hinden in Rome or also known as the ancient lands. For Romans it would be suicide but for the seven it means adventure and well a lot of monsters.

In the book I really liked how Riordan really described the setting it really helped imagine what was going on in the book. I also liked how he used other demigods like Hercules in the book. Riordan has a way of describing things like you are there, but really your eyes are just flipping through a bunch of words. He uses descriptive language to describe his settings and characters that really catch your attention and have connections with.
Riordan never fails to catch my attention with his books, but I have to say that this book in particular really had a lot of good built characters. One of my favorite characters is probably Annabeth Chase. Wisdom's daughter walks alone, The Mark of Athena burns through Rome.When Annabeth goes on her quest I think Riordan really shows how much wisdom Annabeth has and how she uses it. Annabeth is a very relatable character because when she is scared of spiders, I think of things I am scared of and that even a demigod like Annabeth has little fears like that. Annabeth I think is really a strong person who is also a leader.
In The Mark of Athena there really isn’t much that I disliked but the two characters that really brought me no pleasure of reading were Piper and Frank. With Piper I think she is selfish because all she thinks about is Jason, but you know she is the daughter of Aphrodite. Frank on the other hand could have been so much more helpful. He takes his power for granted and he doesn’t use it that well. In my opinion I think both characters could have stepped out of their comfort zone and grown up. If they did they could have saved so many other peoples lives, and they could have helped move the journey a little faster.
If I had to recommend a book to someone it would be this one. This book is full of suspense and a bit of romance. I think this book has a lot of times when you could just connect with it , which is really why I like it. From The Titan’s Curse to The Son of Neptune all the book before The Mark of Athena they have all added up to make The Mark of Athena the best of the best.