I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

November 30, 2012
By AdvocateForFishermen BRONZE, Hampton, New Hampshire
AdvocateForFishermen BRONZE, Hampton, New Hampshire
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do anything to harm the world." ~Voltaire


I am the Messenger

Have you ever imagined being able to help people that seemed like they lived perfectly normal lives, but in actuality they were hurting deep within and nobody knows? That is what happens to nineteen year old, underage taxi driver Ed Kennedy in the novel I am the Messenger. The only thing is he finds out about these people from a mysterious someone who leaves him playing cards. The playing cards lead Ed to people who are lonely, or are being abused, or even just need a friend, and he is able to change their lives forever.

My absolute most favorite part about this book was the language that author Markus Zusak used. I am the Messenger is the most descriptive book I have ever read in my entire life. Almost every single noun has at least one adjective if not more. Markus Zusak describes the character Marv like this, “Marv’s the maestro of meanness with money. The price of penny pinchers.” I thought the way he describe this character, and every other character, was extravagantly amazing.

I am the Messenger has an amazing theme that the main character learns throughout the novel. The theme is that random acts of kindness can go a long way in someone’s life. Ed learns this as he meets many people all in different situations and helps them by even just giving them some company. Ed taught me a thing or two about how you should treat people and he will teach you the same.

My absolute, most least favorite part of I am the Messenger is how it ends. Now I am not going to tell you how it ends because that would spoil the story, but what you are thinking and feeling throughout the entire novel is all turned around and flip flopped after the end. It makes you not really like the novel anymore, and the person who sent Ed the cards telling him what to do.

I am the Messenger is categorized as a young adult novel. I feel it is probably more on the upper range of young adult readers and definitely not for readers under thirteen. The novel has some mildly obscene language and some content not suitable for younger readers, but it does not in any way go into great detail. I am the Messenger is very interesting, not only from the content, but also because it was written by an Australian author and it was first published in Australia with the name The Messenger. This novel has received the Printz Honor award and was an international bestseller. I am the Messenger is another excellent piece of writing by Markus Zusak.