The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe | Teen Ink

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

December 10, 2007
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, by Tom Wolfe, is one of the most interesting and exciting books I have ever read. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is a true story about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters who drove across the country on a painted school bus. The Pranksters experiment with LSD and other psychedelic drugs as they travel the country. It also covers performances by the Grateful Dead and Acid Tests, parties centered on experimenting with the drug, LSD. I almost wish that this book never ended because it was so interesting. I have never really enjoyed reading, but I actually enjoyed this book.

The author's objective of this book is to show the world the life of author Ken Kesey and his band of Merry Pranksters. This book is for audiences interested in the 1960s and the hippie revolution.

Tom Wolfe was a reporter in the 1960s who went to San Francisco, California to meet up with Ken Kesey, author of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Ken Kesey was there writing and doing crazy things, and invited Tom to travel across the country in the first hippie bus. Ken needed to go to New York to the World's Fair for the release of his novel, Sometimes a Great Notion. On this bus tour, they have many acid tests, and even visit LSD-inventor, Dr. Timothy Leary.

In conclusion, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is one of the best books I have ever read, and anyone interested in the 1960s and the counterculture should read it. .I give it a 4.7 on a 5 star scale.