Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By reviewer SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
reviewer SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

Imagine waking up to your country, tyrannized by leaders who would love death to fill the air. Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old, is living in this kind of environment. This sci-fi action experience is what you need to read. The reason I like this book is because of the drama-filled action with a deep description on the main characters’ lives. Author of the book is Suzanne Collins in case you’d want to read other books by her. Hunger Games is a mystery filled book for those who don’t read it, so read it now!
Katniss Everdeen lives in District 12 with her mother and sister. Her dad had died in a mining explosion. District 12 is a poor place and money is usually scarce but the district’s specialty is mining. Katniss hunts for her family with her long time friend Gale. She has learned to hunt from her father. The reaping, a drawing for people 12 through 18 years of age to fight for survival for their district, is in place this year. Known as the Hunger Games, one of the most bloody televised battles in Panem is haunting the mines of many teenagers. What will happen next?
Hunger Games is very intriguing and romantic story. Characters like Peeta, Katniss, Prim, and Haymitch have their stories inside. Peeta is a familiar face to Katniss. She remembers his kindness like it was yesterday. Peeta also remembers Katniss, but he remembers her as a poor girl with no food. Prim is a sensitive, yet loving sister. She stays with Katniss most of the time. Haymitch is a drunken instructor. His advice does help Katniss and Peeta. Gale is a very close friend to Katniss, but she will be separated from him for a while. All these characters have a purpose in this book. Do you think they have those purposes?
The book of Hunger Games is really intriguing. I’ve read it, but now it’s your turn. When you see the book, I insist reading it.