Percy Jackson and the Olympians The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Percy Jackson and the Olympians The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Percy Jackson and the Olympians the Lightning Thief
Meet Percy Jackson, he’s a 12 year old boy and he just finished 6th grade, but he has been in and out of many schools. When Percy comes back for the summer his step father, Gabe Ugliano as Percy calls him “Smelly Gabe”, doesn’t give Percy the warm welcome home he had wanted. Then Percy finds out he’s different than any other person, he is a demigod, half god, half mortal. Thank the author, Rick Riordan has made Percy Jackson and the Olympians the Lightning Thief and his series of books have fascinated readers with these thrilling adventures. Rick has made lots of books based off of Greek mythology, like “The Heroes of Olympus series, and the Kane Chronicles,” these series have been huge hits to the world.

Now Percy has to go to a camp called “Camp Half Blood,” and he finds out that he’s the son of Poseidon (GOD OF SEA), now Zeus (GOD OF SKY) blames Percy and Poseidon for a theft of his missing master bolt since Poseidon once tied Zeus up for being too cruel, now he blames Poseidon and anybody who’s related to him. Percy sets out on a quest to the Underworld to save his mom from Hades (GOD OF THE DEAD) and solve his problems. Percy’s accompanied by his BFF and daughter of Athena, (GODESS OF WISDOM), Annabeth. Percy thinks Hades is the main enemy because he took Percy’s mom, but it turns out, Hades is missing his helm of darkness. Percy accomplishes his mission, but it was a long run he fought Ares (GOD OF WAR), had to return the bolt and helm before the Summer Solstice and had made the gods very angry. (This is not a good thing.)

Percy Jackson has problems staying in school. When he finds out he’s not normal he freaks out, Percy has problems with his family, Zeus blames him for a theft, and Athena doesn’t approve Percy hanging out with Annabeth. Percy is BFF with the satyr (Half man, half goat) Grover. Grover is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he does have some clever moves up his sleeve. Annabeth is daughter of Athena and has been going to camp for 5 years, and has been one of camps toughest campers.
Now this is a great book series and I recommend it to people who are into thrilling adventures, Greek mythology, or people who like action filled books. This series has been The New York Times #1 best seller and has been a big hit all over the world.