To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee | Teen Ink

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Harper Lee takes all of his readers into the world of Maycomb, Alabama and the struggles with “Maycombs’ usual disease” in Pulitzer Prize winning book, To Kill A Mockingbird.

Throughout history, we can read about examples of injustices that have occurred within society, for example slavery and segregation. In the book, To Kill A Mockingbird, Scout and her brother Jem, learn through personal experience that life is not always fair or just. As neighborhood children, they make fun of a local recluse named Arthur “Boo” Radley. They create untrue stories about him and play games that taunt and tease Boo. Boo watches them from the confines of his home and makes an effort to show kindness to the children without reveling himself. They soon discover that Boo is a kind-hearted person and they fell ashamed for the way they treated him.

Another example of injustice that is portrayed in the story is the trial of a local black farmer named Tom Robinson. He is accused of raping a local white woman, Mayella Ewell. Atticus Finch, the father of Scout and Jem, is selected to defend him in court. Scout and Jem learn throughout the trial that life is unfair and that in some situations you can never give up fighting for what you know is right, even when the odds are against you.

Harper Lee teaches us some valuable life lessons through his writings. First, we cannot judge others unless we know what life is like for them. Second, even though we do what is right, in the end we may not receive the results we wanted and finally, life will not always be fair and that is ok, you must go on.