Hiroshima by John Hersey | Teen Ink

Hiroshima by John Hersey

Hiroshima by John Hersey

John Hersey presents what Japan was like after being hit with nuclear bombs from America in his world-famous book Hiroshima.

The story follows many people and how they lived during the stressful time of World War II. Even through all of their suffering and fear the communities of the cities that had nuclear bombs dropped upon them stuck together and helped one another.

These people that are followed in the story come from many different backgrounds and have diverse personalities as well as having to face different issues. Many of the citizens didn’t realize what had happened until it was too late; a large bomb had been dropped on their city. Scores of people lost their lives and many more were severely injured along with the characters.
Most people are able to get to their designated evacuation areas or other places that aren’t on fire but the unfortunate ones trapped in their own homes burned in the uncontrollable fires. Many people lost their close family, relatives, and/or friends and felt a great grief, but, they put their feelings aside to help others who fared worse than they themselves.

John Hersey brings to us the pain and despair of those in Japan affected by the atomic bomb and how they coped during those harsh times. The people who survived did so because they believed it would end if they didn’t give up and helped each other.