The Future of US by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler | Teen Ink

The Future of US by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

Have you ever wondered what your future is going to be like? If there’s anyway you could find out whether or not you’re going to be successful? You watch romantic movies and tell yourself, that’s going to be my life. Or see someone you admire and hope with all you got that you’ll be just like them. In the book The Future of Us, Emma and Josh, accidentally unleash what their future has in store for them. Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler created a scenario that so many people wish would happen to them.
Emma and Josh have been neighbors their whole lives, and are now juniors in high school. When Josh brings over a CD-ROM for Emma’s new computer she just received, the two of them discover a website called Facebook. Only when they log in, they find themselves looking at Emma fifteen years in the future. Intrigued at what they just discovered, they quickly realize they’re going to be late and make a beeline right for school.

The whole book is written from both Josh’s and Emmas’ points of view which is what makes the book so interesting. When they first log into Facebook, Josh thinks it’s all a joke that somebody is pulling on them until they start to look at the website more. Both their opinions change about the website the second they find pictures of Emma as a thirty one year old parent. Everyday after school they discovered more and more about their future-selves. Such as, what their relationship status was, what they were having for dinner that night, and most importantly, how happy they were.

Day after day goes by and the two of them continue to check Facebook everyday to see if their futures have changed. Emma starts to become a little too obsessed with changing her future because she doesn’t like what she sees, while Josh is cautious about everything he does because he doesn’t want to change his future at all.

Not only is The Future of Us about Emma and Josh’s future, but it is also about the two of them building their friendship that they once had. As the book progresses, you start find out what exactly drew them apart in the first place. Asher and Mackler slowly peel back the layers, making the reader want more. Both characters, while trying to deal with their life now, have to bare with the thought that every single thing they do, changes something in their future. The Future of Us is a well written book that grabs your attention from the first page. Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler do a great job getting the point across that our choices affect us throughout life. Along with people worry too much about what’s going to happen instead of living in the moment. Lifes too fast and although many authors like to overuse that theme, The Future of Us is unlike any other book.