The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger | Teen Ink

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger MAG

August 13, 2008
By Brittany Hsu SILVER, Jericho, New York
Brittany Hsu SILVER, Jericho, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There are no words to describe my gratitude to J.D. Salinger. He created a deeply flawed character who represents the troubles of all adolescents. Though Holden does nothing but complain for most of the book, he is very insightful at times.

This is the story of his short journey into the real world and his response toward overcoming it. After reading The Catcher in the Rye and seeing Holden in myself, I read J.D. Salinger's biography. If only he weren't a recluse, I could tell him what I realized about him and Holden. They are strikingly similar. It seems that Salinger cannot get over the ghost of Holden after all these years. Unlike his counterpart, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Salinger simply puts too much of himself into his work and so creates his own unique style that has been unrivaled for decades. It's no wonder he hides his recent manuscripts from the prying eyes of the world. Mr. Salinger, Holden, you are both truly wonders.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 11 comments.


on Oct. 24 2010 at 1:26 pm
EmilyClark BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments
I never knew that about J.D. Salinger. It is a very interesting connection you made between the main character and the author. Thanks! BTW I totally agree with you that Holden does little but complain for the whole book :)

on Oct. 2 2010 at 11:39 am
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other
3 articles 0 photos 146 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

(that was supposed to be a reply to niftygrrl)

on Oct. 2 2010 at 11:37 am
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other
3 articles 0 photos 146 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

Oh, I know, I liked Catcher a lot more after I understood it from hearing John explaining it.

on Jul. 6 2010 at 12:56 am
Niftygrrl BRONZE, Norfolk, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”- dr suess

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

You should go on youtube a watch John green's (vlogbrothers) reveiw on this book!You wont regret it.

Its truly amazing! I love this book


minael2010 said...
on Jan. 31 2010 at 7:04 pm
This begins and ends in the psychiatric ward. He tells us the reader how he came to end up in the hospital. This is pretty much what he tells the psychiatrist. I am sure if pressed he would have been a little more honest. I can't help but think holden had something more to say

Star717 said...
on Dec. 23 2009 at 9:14 pm
Star717, Lansing, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
When given ruled paper, write the other way

In the deepest hour of the night, confess to yourself that you would die if you were forbidden to write. And look inside your heart where the roots spread, the answer, must I write?

I read this book for English; the teacher gave us an option to pick from a variety of young adult fiction. Only two people in the class chose the book. With myself being one of them. I enjoyed the novel and I connected with Holden and it was almost like we were long lost brothers. I liked how insightful and immature Holden could be at times. It was a marvelous book.

on Jul. 28 2009 at 2:36 am
messijessi BRONZE, Malvern, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 13 comments
An amazing book.

on Jul. 15 2009 at 8:26 pm
kiwi12 PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
28 articles 10 photos 365 comments
I had to read this for school and I have to say it was one of the most depressing books I have ever read. At first when I started reading it I felt bored, but after the first few chapters I had to finish it.

hola14 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 12 2009 at 6:16 am
hola14 BRONZE, New York, New York
1 article 0 photos 11 comments
Wonderful book. Hard to compete with. I wanted to read it over and over. But Im wondering. Was the end him being pshycotic or just ill?

carls86 said...
on Feb. 23 2009 at 3:51 pm
good

destinee said...
on Dec. 30 2008 at 5:16 pm
A truly wonderful book, though depressing. I agree with you, word for word.