The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

There are no words to describe my gratitude to J.D. Salinger. He created a deeply flawed character who represents the troubles of all adolescents. Though Holden does nothing but complain for most of the book, he is very insightful at times.

This is the story of his short journey into the real world and his response toward overcoming it. After reading The Catcher in the Rye and seeing Holden in myself, I read J.D. Salinger's biography. If only he weren't a recluse, I could tell him what I realized about him and Holden. They are strikingly similar. It seems that Salinger cannot get over the ghost of Holden after all these years. Unlike his counterpart, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Salinger simply puts too much of himself into his work and so creates his own unique style that has been unrivaled for decades. It's no wonder he hides his recent manuscripts from the prying eyes of the world. Mr. Salinger, Holden, you are both truly wonders.

EmilyClark This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I never knew that about J.D. Salinger. It is a very interesting connection you made between the main character and the author. Thanks! BTW I totally agree with you that Holden does little but complain for the whole book :)

AnneOnnimous said...
Oct. 2, 2010 at 11:37 am
Oh, I know, I liked Catcher a lot more after I understood it from hearing John explaining it.

AnneOnnimous replied...
Oct. 2, 2010 at 11:39 am
(that was supposed to be a reply to niftygrrl)

Niftygrrl said...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 12:56 am

You should go on youtube a watch John green's (vlogbrothers) reveiw on this book!You wont regret it.

Its truly amazing! I love this book

Star717 said...
I read this book for English; the teacher gave us an option to pick from a variety of young adult fiction. Only two people in the class chose the book. With myself being one of them. I enjoyed the novel and I connected with Holden and it was almost like we were long lost brothers. I liked how insightful and immature Holden could be at times. It was a marvelous book.

messijessi said...
Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:36 am
An amazing book.

kiwi12 said...
I had to read this for school and I have to say it was one of the most depressing books I have ever read. At first when I started reading it I felt bored, but after the first few chapters I had to finish it.

hola14 said...
Apr. 12, 2009 at 6:16 am
Wonderful book. Hard to compete with. I wanted to read it over and over. But Im wondering. Was the end him being pshycotic or just ill?

minael2010 replied...
This begins and ends in the psychiatric ward. He tells us the reader how he came to end up in the hospital. This is pretty much what he tells the psychiatrist. I am sure if pressed he would have been a little more honest. I can't help but think holden had something more to say

carls86 said...
good

destinee said...
A truly wonderful book, though depressing. I agree with you, word for word.