The Maze Runner by James Dashner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

October 10, 2012
By Leah Marty BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
Leah Marty BRONZE, Monticello, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In The Maze Runner, James Dashner writes about a group of all teenage boys trapped in a community inside of big stonewalls. This action-packed book tells the story of Thomas and his friends trying to survive in the Glade.

When Thomas comes to the Glade, he notices he is in what seems like a small town inside big stonewalls. Outside of the walls is a large maze that changes patterns every night. For two years, the Gladers have tried to explore it and find a way out. Everyone’s memory is erased before they go there. Nobody knows how or why they are there, but they do know one thing, Thomas has a special connection to the Glade.

What starts out with a confusing beginning, turns into a book that you can't put down. I liked The Maze Runner because it was unlike anything I've ever read before. With twists and turns that you didn't expect, this story kept my attention throughout the novel. At times it can be hard to follow, but I certainly understand more the further I read.

The author really takes what you thought you knew in the beginning and changes that. In the Glade, the boys have been living the same routine for two years. After Thomas comes, that all changes. The first girl comes to the Glade the day after Thomas does and triggers the ending of the Glade. Teresa, the new girl, has a connection to Thomas and helps him try to decide if they should risk their lives to try to escape, or stick it out and fight the ending of the Glade.

To conclude, I enjoyed this novel very much. I would recommend it to anyone who likes actions, escapes, and dystopian books.