Before I Fall | Teen Ink

Before I Fall

September 26, 2012
By Olivia Castillo` BRONZE, Nipomo, California
Olivia Castillo` BRONZE, Nipomo, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What if you had one more day to live? What would you do and who would you spend it with? Well in before I fall the main character, Samantha Kingston has everything any senior girl would want, she has a very likeable boyfriend, she’s very popular and everyone wants to be her friend. But Samantha takes all of this for granted and she treats people with little respect just because she’s the most popular girl at school. This story takes place at Thomas Jefferson High School, the location where all teenagers hang out and drama looms around. On the night of February 12th Samantha and her friends go to a party and while on their way home they get into a horrible accident and Samantha dies. The strange things is she wakes up the next morning and it’s still February 12th and she has to relive that day over and over again. While reliving the same day over and over again Samantha finds out stuff she would have never guessed and she understands that popularity isn’t everything and that, she realizes that she shouldn’t waste time on focusing on how popular she is and disrespecting people who aren’t as popular as she is. You can connect this book to Groundhogs day, where a weatherman finds himself reliving the same day over and over again. The author’s style in this book is very dramatic and around every turn there is a unexpected event that happens to Samantha. The theme of Before I fall is very gut-wrenching because you want to know what Samantha is going to find out next about the people she’s been surrounded by her whole high school life. Samantha is very close to the other characters in this book but she soon realizes that those relationships were made up and that she didn’t know everything about her friends. So if you had the chance to relive a day over and over again, what would you do differently? Overall I would highly recommend this book to anybody because it shows you that you should never just focus on one thing and to live life like it was your last because it might actually be your last and to love the people who surround you with love and turn away from those who are fake.