MockingJay by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

MockingJay by Suzanne Collins

September 30, 2012
By Anonymous

“May the odds ever be in your favor” (26). This was a quote that was said at the ceremony to pick the tributes for the Hunger Games in District 12. Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire, and Peeta Mallark, the boy with the bread, were chosen. They were the first ever tributes from District 12 to both win in the Hunger Games. In the second book “Catching Fire” they both made it out alive from the arena again but this time Peeta was taken by the Capitol.



When reading “Mocking Jay” it was almost as if I was in Katniss’ spot, trying to overrun the Capital and get Peeta back. The Capital and the districts are at war because Katniss has tricked them so many times and “ruined” their Hunger Games. District 13 wants to take down The Capital so they lose all of their power. They can only do this if Katniss is willing to risk her life and become “The Mocking Jay”. At the Victory Tour President Snow, leader of the capital, said,” Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire, you have provided a spark that, left unattended, many grow into an inferno that destroys Panem.”(6) I like what Suzanne Collins did there, she helped create suspension which made me want to read more. It also helped to foreshadow future events that would occur in the book. Katniss’ life is very difficult because every move she makes is constantly being monitored. She also has to make sure she does everything right to try and get Peeta back. She needs Peeta back by her side so he can help take down the Capital.



Suzanne Collins did a great job writing the Hunger Game trilogy. All of the books have been so addicting I could hardly put them down. When analyzing the books, I can infer that Suzanne’s main point when writing these books is to show how the government has too much control and the people don’t have enough say in what goes on. For example is the Capital controls everything and even forces all kids under the age of eighteen to be in a draw to fight for their life in the Hunger Games. That is why it was important for Katniss to take up the role as the MockingJay to represent the people of Panem. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to be Katniss and to have all of Panem counting on her.

When reading, Collins does a great job explaining certain scenes , it almost feels like I’m with Katniss. An example is at one point District Eight is being bombed while Katniss is visiting Haymitch, Katniss’ mentor, tells her she needs to get to a safe spot and get out of harms way. Instead Katniss and Gale help try and shoot down the airplane bombers. A quote that did a good job explaining it was “ Before anyone can stop me, I make a dash for an access ladder and begin to scale it. Climbing. One of the things I do best.”(95) This helps create a sense of imagery and that is what I enjoyed most about this book. I also liked how the constant thought in the back of my head when reading was ‘will Katniss be able to overthrow the Capitol?’ I definitely recommend this book but, I would read “Hunger Games” and “Catching Fire” before you read this one.