Prom* by Ellie O'Ryan | Teen Ink

Prom* by Ellie O'Ryan

By dawny BRONZE, Auburn, New York
dawny BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Prom

The novel Prom was adapted by Ellie O’Ryan and was the base for the Disney major motion picture. The novel was set in present day perspective. In Michigan, eager teenagers await the moments they will remember for a lifetime. Prom! The soon-to-be graduates of Brookside High ponder college plans as relationships change.
Nova had such a determination about her. She had a crush on Brandon for I don’t know how long. At the beginning of this book, there was no doubt in my mind that they would be together in the end. I could not have been more wrong. Nova developed feelings over the school rebel, Jesse. Jesse did not exactly share Nova’s excitement for prom, but he went any way for her sake. I hope they get together and stay together after they graduate.
Some people do not get the happy endings. For example, the “It” couple, consisting of Jordan Lundley and Tyler Barso, who are not the perfect couple at all. Tyler cheated on her. Before Jordan knew for a fact that her boyfriend was cheating on her, she had her suspicions when she found an earring in Tyler’s car that was not hers. Tyler cheated on Jordan with Simone Daniels, who was a sophomore at Brookside High at the time.
Simone dated Tyler, not knowing that Jordan and Tyler were still together. When Simone found out from Tyler, she said nothing to anyone that the two of them had gone on a date or two while Tyler and Jordan were still together. Jordan found out when she walked by and saw Simone and Tyler lean in and kiss in a car. It broke Jordan’s heart. Tyler didn’t say he was cheating on her with Simone because he did not want to ruin prom for Jordan. When Jordan found out, of course she confronted him about it, and he denied it like you would not believe. As soon as Jordan told him what she knew, he had to admit to all of it. Thus, the “It” couple broke up.
Now I would like to talk about someone who I believe needed to let his inner self out. I am talking about Lucas Arnaz. He had a crush on Simone, who had a secret relationship with Tyler, so you could say things were a little bit complicated. Simone was so involved with herself, she did not even really notice Lucas had a crush on her. I believe Lucas was such a sweetheart. Lucas and his friend, Corey Doyle, have an unbeatable bond that triumphs in the end. Lucas and Corey are great friends to each other.
Some couples are fortunate to have made it through things for so long, like Mei and Justin. Mei and Justin are a very strong couple, probably because they have been together for a very long time. When I get into a relationship, I hope it’s as strong as theirs.
Mei is a designer who, I believe, has done amazing work on prom posters. Mei and Justin have both already been accepted to the University of Michigan, which is amazing as it is. AH! Here comes the twist! When Mei applied to a great, no, spectacular school, she never imagined she would be accepted for it. I am not talking about the University of Michigan. I am talking about Parsons, a college in New York. Mei decided to go. Justin was so proud of her. I am too. Yay!
As you can see, things got complicated at Brookside High. The one really good thing that can come out of high school is friendships that can last a lifetime.