The Outsiders by SE Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by SE Hinton

By Krave BRONZE, Brownsburg, Indiana
Krave BRONZE, Brownsburg, Indiana

In all of my experiences with books, I have never read one as exhilarating as The Outsiders.
The Outsiders is a phenomenal book that I couldn’t put down. S.E. Hinton is a great author; all of her sentences and words flow smoothly. It amazes me that she was only 16 when she wrote this page turner. It is an exquisitely wonderful book.

The Outsiders is about an ongoing battle between the poor, hard as nails “greasers” and the snooty, rich “Socs”. The Socs jump -or beat up- greasers for fun. The greasers are getting sick of it. The main character, Ponyboy Curtis, just can’t stand it. He wants to get revenge on the Socs, but is horrified when one of his friends takes it too far. Next thing he knows he’s on the run and everything goes by in a blur. All the while, the greasers are preparing for the final battle.

Ponyboy lives with his two older, wild brothers, Sodapop and Darry. Darry works full time and is always hollering at Ponyboy. Sodapop works part time at a gas station, and is reckless and carefree. Darry is tall, has a pro wrestler’s build, and has eyes like green ice. He has short, clean cut hair, and Ponyboy claims they are nothing alike. Ponyboy’s other brothers name is Sodapop. He has dark, silky hair that he greases back, and dark eyes that are reckless, lively, and dancing. He’s always the one to cheer people up, have fun, and hate anything boring. He’s very handsome, with a finely drawn, sensitive face. Ponyboy’s best friend, Johnny, has dark hair and skin, with black eyes to match. He’s small and doesn’t talk much. He’s like the pet of the gang. Another member of the gang, Dallas Winston, has almost white blonde hair, with and elfish face with high cheekbones, a pointed chin, and ears like a lynx. His eyes are blazing blue, cold with the hatred of the world. Steve Randle, Soda’s best friend, is tall and lean, with hair that he combs in complicated swirls. He’s cocky and smart, and knows a whole lot about cars. The last member of the gang is Two-Bit Matthews, the oldest and the wisecracker of the bunch. He’s six foot, with a stocky build. He has rusty colored hair, with gray eyes with a wide grin. He’s always smarting of to the cops. Life is one big joke to him. This gang is definitely unique.

This is a very heartwarming book, with surprises around every corner. I would definitely read it again. The Outsiders has it all, and it’s a very inspiring book. Once again, S.E. Hinton is a great author, and it was a pleasure to read this book.

One of the main themes of this book is “stay gold” which means stay innocent. Ponyboy learns this along with the reader. I definitely recommend this to all the teenagers in America, as well as adults. All in all, The Outsiders is a great book that everyone should enjoy!