the outsiders by S.E hinton | Teen Ink

the outsiders by S.E hinton

September 28, 2012
By hailey_hunny BRONZE, Brownsburg, Indiana
hailey_hunny BRONZE, Brownsburg, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everyone wants happieness, nobody wants pain, but you cant have a rainbow without any rain.


The Outsiders review


The book The Outsiders will dominate all the other books you’ve ever read. The emotional story is about a young group of friends of rough, tuff, hoods, and the horrifying week these poor kids have. All the thrilling decisions they are forced to make gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. S.E Hinton wrote this jam-packed with eye popping details! You feel like you have known the characters your whole life. This book is all about the blood wrenching battle between the rich, preppy, socs and the rough, poor, hoods they call greasers. All of their bloody fights they have throughout the book and their battle to be the best
Pony boy, the main character of the book, is the “kid brother” or the youngest of the group. He has dark, long, greasy hair. He is a tough boy with the heart of a 6 year old; he cares for everyone and will make sure everyone is okay before he sees if he is himself. He is in a “gang” with his two brothers and their three friends that toughen him right up into a rough, strong greaser. Soda is the middle child of the three brothers, He is the best looking of them all, he has long, dark hair, and he is very reckless. He is an emotional young boy but he knows when he needs to be tough. And last but not least; Darry. He is the oldest, toughest, and roughest brother. He is tall and good looking, and he takes care of Pony and Soda because their parents died in a train/car crash when Pony was just a small boy. So Darry is the most responsible of the three by far. Also in the book are Two Bit, Steve, Jonny and Dally. (They are the rest of the gang.) But you will learn more about them when you read the book.

There are lots of conflicts in the book, for example, greasers and Socs is the biggest one, and also Darry and Pony, and Pony and himself. The greasers and the Socs conflict has been going on long before these boys came along. They were just born into it and learned to I think this is one of, if not the best book I’ve read in a while, And I’m not crazy about reading, trust me.

The main theme in the book is “stay gold” which means stay innocent mostly, just saying stay young and don’t get yourself a bad reputation. Jonny says this to pony right before -------OOPS not going to ruin it------ well just say a big event happens in the book.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who can get their hands on a copy. I’m just 13 years old and I can understand the emotional roller coaster they go through in just this week, with all the amazing details S.E Hinton put in this book. You need to read this book ASAP! Go to your nearest library and check this out!


The author's comments:
english project