Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Thirteen Reasons Why
By: Jay Asher, Hardcover, 288 pages

This book, Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher is about a girl, Hannah Baker, who committed suicide and left seven tapes with thirteen reasons why she died but the tapes are mostly about important people that were in her life and she wanted to say her last words to them. After she was done recording her tapes, she made two copies of them and gave one copy to the guy who let Hannah borrow his tape recorder, Tony, and had her second copy roaming through the town going to the people on her list. If a person on her list didn’t pass them on to the next person and Tony recognized it, he would keep the chain going by passing his second copy onto the next person. So since the beginning, Tony has been in on Hannah’s plan. A way Tony will be able to see if no one was passing the tapes is that he would see a change in character in that one person; they would start acting different and do crazy things. For example, once Clay has received the tapes, he started acting different because one; he took his walkman and second, he punched one of the guys who mistreated Hannah in the face because he still cared for her. Overall, this is an incredible story and makes you feel like you were part of the list. What would you do if you were on Hannah’s list?