Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer | Teen Ink

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

By takemetothemoon8 BRONZE, Nipomo, California
takemetothemoon8 BRONZE, Nipomo, California

Into the Wild Book Review

Into the Wild is a compelling look into the life of wanderlust and freedom. We all know those people who seem like they have everything they could want: a loving family, good income, no apparent loss. In some cases, these are the ones that could be suffering the most and no one knows it. This was the case for Christopher McCandless, also referred to as Alexander Supertramp. He was upper middle-class and had academic success, even graduated from a successful university. Of course, things aren’t always as they appear. McCandless ended up leaving home without a word, abandoning his car, donating $25,000 to charity, and burning whatever money remained. He embarked on a soul-searching journey, separating himself from society and entering solitude. He met many people along the way who influenced his life and used the new knowledge he gained from each of them. When he reached his destination of Denali, Alaska, his dream goes awry. One simple mistake took his life, leaving the reader with a haunting feeling. To know these events actually happened, this book is frightening, compelling, and intriguing. Into the Wild will leave you with the yearning to soul-search and reevaluate your life.