Brian's Song by William Blinn | Teen Ink

Brian's Song by William Blinn

By Mandy23654 BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
Mandy23654 BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts

“Ernest Hemingway said that every true story ends in death. Well this is a true story” is one of the first lines in the novel Brian’s Song by William Blinn. Brian’s Song is the true story of how Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers became friends during the 1970s. They were complete opposites, one of them had a loud and outgoing personality, while the other one kept more to himself and was quiet. The biggest difference between them had to be the color of their skin. These two men put aside their differences and help each other out through some of the hardest times of their lives. Brian develops Cancer during the story, and Gale stands by his side until the very last moment when he says his last goodbye. Even though they are both in competition for the same position on the Chicago Bears, they still manage to form a true friendship. This story shows that you can become friends with anyone even though you could be total opposites.
The story has its funny moments, but also has many sad ones. Each page will keep you wondering what is going to happen next. The reader will not want to put this book down. Anyone can read it, just not sports fans. The book is meant for anyone to read, and it is a heartfelt story that no one will forget.