The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

By LizzieBee BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
LizzieBee BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd tells the story of a 14 year old white girl named Lily Owens. Lily lives on a peach farm with her cruel father T Ray and her black nanny Rosaleen in 1964. The book begins with blacks winning the right to vote. Lily goes to town with Rosaleen to register to vote. Rosaleen ends up thrown in jail, but Lily breaks Rosaleen out of jail and runs away with her.

Lily and Rosaleen meet the Boatwright sisters, and lie about their identity so they can stay with them without the sister knowing Lily and Rosaleens past. The three black sisters raise bees and sell the honey. August, a bee keeper, teaches Lily about bees. While living with the sisters Lily meets and falls in love with Zach, a black boy. May, one of the Boatwright sisters commits suicide. Lily learns August used to be her mother’s nanny, and they talk about Lily’s mother. T Ray finds Lily and tries to take her back to the farm. August convinces T Ray to let Lily stay with the Boatwright sisters.

Bees have a great meaning throughout the book. The bees first buzzed around in Lily’s room during the night. They intrigued her and give her the courage to leave T Ray. Bees taught her love. Bees live their life in secret like Lily’s life was a secret to the Boatwright sisters; August understands the bee’s secret life like she understands Lily’s life.