Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut | Teen Ink

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

September 19, 2012
By BDecker13 BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
BDecker13 BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut follows the events of a narrator, John, as they lead up to the end of the world at the hands of science. Kurt Vonnegut, known as a popular modern novelist, delves in the strange and sometimes scary world of science-fiction.

The author uses the skills of imagery and foreshadowing to paint a vivid picture that allows the reader to put themselves in the shoes of the novel’s characters. As John travels around from place to place, the constant references to the religious icon Bokonon show a common element; Bokonon proves that religion does not necessarily need to bring truth to people in order to comfort them.

The author succeeds in holding the reader’s interests without having outright action occurring. Vonnegut uses foreshadowing during the events of John’s travels to reference how the mechanisms that bring about the end of the world come about. The book has a casual element that allows the reader to become enveloped in the words on the pages, allowing the novel’s 300 pages to fly by swiftly.









Vonnegut wrote an excellent book that easily interests someone through the entirety of the book. Vonnegut’s writing style definitely gives the reader a new outlook on what a truly great writer can achieve, through many different literary devices. I would recommend this epic tale to anyone who fancies themselves a connoisseur of science fiction.


The author's comments:
After reading this book over the summer, it is now one of my favorite books.