I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou | Teen Ink

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

By Megan Stevenson BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
Megan Stevenson BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts

In Angelou’s autobiography, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya shares the story of a difficult life and the struggles encountered throughout her life. The book shows that determination can help to overcome obstacles. Within this story, Maya Angelou really emphasizes the struggles that African-Americans went through in the 1940s. Angelou has become a remarkable person even though she had a difficult and unstable upbringing. Angelou shares a child’s point-of-view and an adult’s point-of- view for different situations, showing great contrast.
After reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, life will be seen from a whole new perspective. Angelou wanted for people to wonder if a friend or a family member has ever been discriminated against or even if they were the one discriminating against others. This book can be an eye-opener to anyone who reads it because it sparks something within the mind to realize what has been overlooked in this world. Assuring that after reading this book, no luxury will ever be taken for granted and you will appreciate the essentials in life a whole lot more. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what it used to be like for Africans-Americans and how it has changed today.