How to Write a Book Proposal by Michael Larson | Teen Ink

How to Write a Book Proposal by Michael Larson

By knotted.cord SILVER, New Milford, Connecticut
knotted.cord SILVER, New Milford, Connecticut

"I'm WET and I'm in pain...AND I'M STILL HYSTERICAL!!!!"
Friends are like potatos, if you eat them they die.

I am a writer and this is the story of why Michael Larson is dead to me.
Armed with a gift card to Barnes and Nobles, I went to see what books about books I could find. Like hundreds of other hopefuls, I have recently finished a manuscript for a fantasy story. The most promising book that caught my eye was entitled ‘How to Write a Book Proposal’ by Michael Larson. Flipping through it, it sounds like it contains all the secrets to a well-written proposal that would send editors into a frenzy.
At home, the pages seem to read differently. What looked like a tantalizing tell-all becomes a tangle of literary jargon I couldn’t understand with a dictionary in my hand. Furthermore, the text is heavy with incomprehensible metaphors and pointless ramblings! Battling through chapter after chapter gave me a headache. Speaking occasions, national platforms- what did this have to do with the actual format one needs to submit a book proposal to an agent? The answer promised to be revealed later.
At long last, I struggled to what I’d been waiting for: the outline. But wait- what was this? While Larson told me how to write an outline for a NONFICTION novel, he seemed singularly uninterested in fiction.
This had to be some sort of mistake. I flipped through to the introduction again. Then the cover.
At last on the back cover I discovered it: in miniscule, unassuming writing, the word nonfiction. This book was not for the fantasy writer at all. I had spent twenty dollars on a book that was no help to me whatsoever.
Now I’m not just bitter on account of my wasted gift card. So many people are interested in writing-for example, most of the people perusing this very website. Why doesn’t the word nonfiction appear anywhere else a potential buyer might see it?
I guess they want to teach readers not to judge a book by its cover.