Into the Wild by John Krakauer | Teen Ink

Into the Wild by John Krakauer

August 26, 2012
By grahamGgundy BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
grahamGgundy BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

This is a review of “Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer.
Though the book can be very confusing at times, especially at the beginning, the author had a very good way of telling the story. “Into the Wild” is a very interesting book and will make you think about every little detail that occurs throughout the book. At the very beginning of the book, the author tells us that the main character will die in the end. This is very interesting because you would think that it would just be a spoiler alert at the very beginning and ruin the book, but the author could be taking all the sadness and gruesome out the book. This works because when you are reading the book, you will be learning about all of the things that ultimately lead to Christopher’s death. Christopher’s first mistake that lead to everything happening was the decision to leave his family and try to start a life of his own, it showed a lot of arrogance on his part because he was living with a somewhat wealthy family and he had everything going his way, but he thought that he could start a life of his own with nothing and did backfire on him in a hurry.

The author did a very good job of characterization and making the characters believable. Christopher was a very intelligent man, but he was also a little confused and didn’t think about how his decisions would not only affect himself, but also affect other people. With Christopher he wanted to show the readers that you as an individual cannot live out your own life and make all of your decisions by yourself. Christopher lives off of rice and no sense of direction where he is going. In spite of all the mistakes that Christopher made, he was a unique character. He always had a good heart and he shows this because when he would go from job to job, no matter how good or bad he was at it, or how hard the task was, he gave it his all and nothing less. If you read this book, you will find a connection between you and Christopher which will add more excitement to the story and compel you to keep reading.

A mistake that the author did make was that throughout the story, he would compare Christopher with other explorers which really became repetitive and added nothing to the story. This book is definitely worth picking up.