A Dance Of Sisters by Tracey Porter | Teen Ink

A Dance Of Sisters by Tracey Porter

By AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey
AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey

A Dance of Sisters
A novel by Tracey Porter

Twelve-year-old Delia Ferri does not remember he mother who died when she was young, but what she does know is that her father and sister Pearl are fighting more and more. Pearl, her sister, is still crestfallen over their mother’s death, while their father tries to pretend it never happened. Delia feels bad that she does not remember, and feels like a misfit. Her sister is now involved in witchcraft because she is angry and withdrawing from society.
Meanwhile to deal with all her family issues, Delia finds something she loves. A beautiful form of art-ballet. She feels important and needed when she steps into that studio.

Madame Elanova, a world-famous ballet instructor, also tells Delia she is “destined.” But being “destined” comes with many challenges. She must prove herself every day, and fight for what she wants-even if that means beating her only friend Claire. Another challenge she faces is Madame’s cruel perspective on body images. Madame often tells girls they must lose weight, to become a better dancer. When they lose weight they get complimented by Madame and they feel empowered and great.
Besides facing home troubles, Delia is also facing anorexia because Madame told her to lose some weight. Faced with mirrors every day that watch your every move, she is forced to see how “fat” she looks compared to the other girls. She learns that being anorexic is something to be proud of in the ballet world. Madame rewards the anorexic girls for their hard work and Delia strives to prove to Madame she is perfect. But when will it become too much? Too many demands, and not enough rewards. Is it really worth it, is a question Delia faces throughout the story. Competition soon increases among the girls to prove themselves to Madame.

The desperation to prove herself is taking effects on her life. Delia is failing school, losing weight drastically, and is pulling away from friends and family. Only when she hits rock bottom will she open her eyes to see what is going on.
Her sister is only there for her, proving the essence of family and how important it is. Pearl is wise enough to care for Delia and recognize the enemy before even Delia sees who she cherishes most is her worst enemy. To find out her enemy, you must read the book! Though her sister may not be right next to her, she learns the bonds of sisters cannot be broken by distance.

This is a very realistic story for anyone who is in the dance world. Like Delia, you constantly worry about weight and competition with others. This book I can relate to as a dancer. Each dancer is usually faced with anorexia, just like Delia. But the way Delia deals with it is truly different. At first she denies her anorexia but then she truly sees what the world of ballet has done to her. Now she faces the choice of whether to stay in ballet and be controlled by Madame or break away. Very inspiring and beautifully written with great flow, a must-read for everyone!

"I want to stretch to the moon," Delia thought. "Far, far away."
To find out if she did reach the moon read A Dance of Sisters by Tracey Porter.

Dance has always been my passion and I could easily relate to the protagonist's feelings throughout the novel.

on Aug. 28 2012 at 2:33 pm
Aww thank you so much! It;s really good and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

on Aug. 27 2012 at 8:39 pm
Mkessler BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

"If you can talk you can sing, If you can walk you can dance."

After reading this review it really makes me want to check out the book. Thanks you so much for writing, it is now on my reading list. :)