The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

By anna_banana BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
anna_banana BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent- Eleanor Roosevelt

The Fault in Our Stars is, to me, incredibly hard to describe. I absolutely loved it, and it's the first book that has ever made me cry. Lots of books I have read have made me sad to various degrees, but this book was a tears-streaming-down-my-face-at-two-o'clock-in-the-morning book. And I mean that literally. That's what happened. It's about a girl named Hazel who suffers from stage IV thyroid cancer, and after her mother decides she is depressed, sends her to a support group for kids with cancer. While she's there, she meets Issac, a boy with a rare eye cancer, and his friend Augustus Waters. Augustus has Osteosarcoma, and had to have one of his legs amputated above the knee. She becomes very close with them, and falls in love with Augustus. I'd tell you more, but I really don't want to ruin the book for you. So I'll just tell you about what it meant to me. This book was both the funniest book and the saddest book I have ever read. It touched me in a way other books never have. I finished re-reading it the second time this morning, and I was foolish enough to think I wouldn't cry again. This time I was bawling on my couch, and my sister and brother looked at me concerned, like I was having some kind of mental breakdown. I think it was a better idea reading it alone at 2am. Before I read this book, I had no real knowledge of who John Green was, or Vlogbrothers or Nerdfighters or any of that. I had just heard about this book and that it was good, so I requested it at the library. When I finished the book, the jacket of it had information about him, and I learned that that's who he was. All I had seen of him were .gifs of some of his videos that were on Tumblr, so I was curious. I watched some of his and his brother's videos, and aside from all the laughing I did- they're hilarious- I learned about Esther Earl, the girl The Fault in Our Stars is dedicated to on the first page. She had cancer, and I learned that she had died, but when I saw a video of her, I knew how much she had meant to John. Looking at her, she was my Hazel. She was exactly who my Hazel is. She looked exactly like her. I hate when books are made into movies, because they are never exactly what I would have wanted them to be. I'd never once seen a person that I felt perfectly fit the way a character had looked in my mind. Not with The Hunger Games, not with Twilight, not with anything. I know that Esther is not Hazel, and Hazel is not Esther, but If they ever make TFIOS a movie, I don't think I'd ever be able to see it. Because nothing Hollywood could ever produce could ever compare to the beautiful book John has written. And no one could ever be more of Hazel to me than Esther was. And no one could ever be Augustus Waters. The book means too much to me. Hazel and Augustus and Isaac mean too much to me. I actually have the world 'Okay' hennaed on my foot, as tribute to the book. The girl looked at me like I was crazy, but it's there. I realise that this was as much of a review as it was an expression of my love of the book, but I hope in reading this you see how much it touched me, and in turn will read it and let it touch you as well. It was an absolutely beautiful book, and I recommend it to everyone, no matter who you are.

I just wanted to express how much this book means to me, and in telling you about it, have you read it and let it mean that to you as well.

Mkessler BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

"If you can talk you can sing, If you can walk you can dance."

Beautiful book review I plan on reading this book soon because of it. It's on my list of books to read. :) 

manfromhope said...
Agree! Beautifully written and well done! And you made me cry.

I agree with this review. The Fault in Our Stars is a book that should stay only as a book. It shouldn't be projected to the world because I feel that this book is mine, like An Imperial Affliction was Hazel's (but not the same relationship between her and Peter Van Houten and nerdfighters with John Green). This book is broke my heart, but bandaged it, too. The book also opened my eyes to the world that was covered in a mist that my eyes couldn't see through. Great review and DFBTA! :D