Falling Through the Earth | Teen Ink

Falling Through the Earth

By Ashleyg BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Ashleyg BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

The memoir of Danielle Trussoni Falling Through The Earth was both emotionally and honoring to read. She told a story of her childhood living in La Crosse, Wisconsin explaining how her dad was effected in war of Vietnam physically and mentally, and she grew up through all of that. It was inspiring to read this memoir of a father and a daughter and how his choice in life effected everyone around him.

Danielle explained how her life was growing up, one thing I liked about this memoir was that she made everything very detailed. For example, when Danielle’s little brother got hit by a car, she explained the scene so well. Her exact words were. “ His armed were splayed over his chest, and his neck twisted back, so that his head of bloody hair looked like a red flower, broken at the stem.” She explained her words well she left you with an image in your head, also Danielle left you thinking on what was going to happen next after every chapter. I liked that Danielle wrote about her and her father on who he was as a man who served the war, and there relationship. She looked up to him as she was growing up but realized that she had to get out of that life and move on. I liked the emotion in the memoir, Danielle shared a relationship with her father which I found very inspiring how she looked up to him, even though he was rude to her and her siblings she knew it came from love.

This memoir was both inspiring and confusing, the one thing I didn’t like about this memoir was that it was very confusing. The way she switching in between chapters from one scene to the another. In other words each story being told never had an ending, it ended with both suspense and confusion. The other part I didn’t like that she wrote about going to Vietnam, I found it had no point, but in the end I understood that all she was trying to understand was why her dad was the way he was; rude and impatient, and uncaring. This showed Danielle and how she was a strong person, growing up with a man like her father. Overall in my opinion it was a good book, that had a lot of emotion, and a way of understanding between a father and a daughter.

Danielle believed that it she was doing the right looking up to her dad, even after all the bad things he had done, and the choices he made, but one thing she understood in the end that her dad was a good man with bad choices. The fact that she wrote about her father who was in the Vietnam war said a lot, everything was honoring and yet so inspiring to read, and shared a part of it with the author.

on Aug. 24 2012 at 9:16 am
thachosun1 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Great review! Its very helpful and informative! Maybe I'll read it....

on Aug. 24 2012 at 12:11 am
Kiaashley BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
I liked how you were able to talk about the book without completely retelling it. Good job