The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls | Teen Ink

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

August 1, 2012
By Emily Duke BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Emily Duke BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The glass castle is an extremely interesting book to read. The thing I love about it is that it’s controversial and it brings out a lot of emotions. I would feel depressed and shocked at some parts then I would switch to excited and hopeful at others. Another great quality about The Glass Castle is how the author expresses her feelings in her writing, making it very personal.

One of the many emotions this book made me feel was irritated and frustrated. In most of the situations her parents didn’t help her at all, they were irresponsible and I was so mad that they didn’t help her out or make her feel safe. For example in the book when she woke up in the middle of the night to find a stranger/ rapist in her house and after that happened her parents weren’t even worried they just brushed it off like it wasn’t a big deal and made excuses for the guy, meanwhile she was scared and now even more stressed out about that happening again.
Something that I liked about the novel was that the writing was very personal and relatable. I think, for me, that’s the thing that made it unique and different from other novels, the author did an amazing job at keeping it honest which made it easier to connect with the events that were happening. I also think because it was so detailed and relatable it was easier to get into the book. We all know those books that take chapters and chapters to get interesting!

Another thing that I really loved about the book was that it was based on an actual, real life. Usually I would get extremely bored with a novel that continues to be depressing, reading all awful things piling up but there was always a little bit of hope that kept me intrigued and on the edge of my seat, wanting to see what was going to happen next. Like when her and her sisters saved up about nine hundred dollars so they could move, it gave me hope!

Overall I think that The Glass Castle is a fascinating novel that’s also an inspiring story. The author was such a good writer and definitely stepped out of her own shoes to tell the story like she was a bystander. It is shocking, surprising, heart breaking and all around touching.