The Glass Castle | Teen Ink

The Glass Castle

August 1, 2012
By AmandaEvans BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
AmandaEvans BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Before I read The Glass Castle, I thought nonfiction books would be a waste of my time, why not read a book with cute romance, or mysteries that would keep me on my toes, instead of a memoir of someone else’s life? But my opinion changed almost immediately. When I finished the book, I couldn’t believe how much I enjoyed it, from start to finish I was intrigued on what else could happen to a young girl, and the ways she could get through what life throws. Jeannette Walls captured my attention immediately by telling her stories.
Jeannette takes the reader through her life by telling her memories in a way that seems like you are practically there. The first memory starts when she was just three years old, and ends with her living in New York on her own, with every crazy adventure in between. Jeannette’s writing was so detailed and descriptive, at times it felt as if she was in front of me and talking in person, other times I felt as if I lived with her family all her life, that I was included in the stories she was telling.
Knowing she moved around a lot and was never close with her mother, I never thought I would be able to relate to her life, but while reading I was shocked on how much we have in common! With all the tough times she has between her dad spending all the money, and breaking the promises of building the glass castle. Knowing that her siblings, Lori, Brian, and Maureen would have to figure out own ways to survive, and fight for things most kids don’t think twice about.
Jeannette’s book explained her life so well and her story is so inspirational that it was almost as if she went through what she did just to write about it. As if she was born to write this memoir. Reading this book can prove how good your life is, and what you can really do with little money and it even changed my perspective on my own home and family. Since I finished the book, I have recommended it to anyone and everyone, “threatening” that if nobody else reads it, I will have to read it again myself.
Jeannette’s mother says, “Life is a bowl of cherries, with a few nuts thrown in”, and this memoir explains exactly that. How to appreciate the things you have, and to not worry about the things you don’t. Times are going to be hard, but what is it worth if it’s easy for you? Everyone should read this book, with or without the liking of nonfiction books. The book is so well written and every page has something to prove.