Winterdance; The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod by Gary Paulsen | Teen Ink

Winterdance; The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod by Gary Paulsen

August 1, 2012
By K7777 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
K7777 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

This is a book about the beauty and hardships of the Iditarod race, and the bond created between man and dog. The main character has a hobby of running with his dogs on sled, similar to the Iditarod race. He would train with them, and dedicate everything to them, what would seem like every second. It’s the thrill and very much the highlight of the life he sees. One day he decides to run the race, with no knowledge and little experience of what is within the race, but he decides to tackle the challenge. At his first time racing it wasn’t about winning to him, but to treasure the experience, and he didn’t let the tension or even danger of the race get to him. He faces challenges and has to deal with trust of his dogs, the unimaginable weather, extreme terrain conditions, maybe even death, and so much more. At the same time, he builds a relationship with his dogs that is unbreakable and something to treasure. He understands them, and becomes one of them. They become something he can’t live without.
My opinion of the book was that it was unique and unlike any other book I’ve read. One main message that really stands out to me from this book is how a person shouldn’t give up, but face the hardships because in the end you may receive everything you’d wish for and more. The determination was portrayed quite clearly, which sets an example to readers. I think one main message the author sees is that through tough times and through all, dogs will always be a priceless treasure to stand beside you no matter what. Some background evidence is how he compares his dogs to his values in life that would stand to support him and encourage. He compared them to the love of his family, and the memory of the day his son was born. He mentioned how his dogs were what made him happy, because they were all that he really needed in life (besides his family).
Overall I thought the book was good. It was really interesting, because I learned so much about the Iditarod race and how dangerous it can be. In some areas it was slow, and I think it may have needed more excitement. There were humorous parts and different exciting situations. The story seemed really realistic to me, through the detailed descriptions. It was what I thought the book would be about, and more.
I would recommend this book to people who like to read about adventure, and the suspense of the Iditarod race. This book also highlights the relationship between dogs and the dedication to a journey.