Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer | Teen Ink

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

By J.Miller BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
J.Miller BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Into Thin Air is telling the story of Jon Krakauers experience of reaching the summit of Mt. Everest in 1996.He first starts out in Seattle, Washington working for Outside magazine. Then one day he goes up to his boss and asks to go to Mt. Everest to writ e about the mountain, and the expeditions. But the real reason he wanted to go was he loves climbing and Mt. Everest is the largest mountain in the world. Ever since he was little he had always dreamed about climbing Mt. Everest, and now he gets the chance to. So when he was ready he hopped on a plane and flew to Nepal; where he met up with his guide Rob Hall, and the rest of the New Zealand group. A couple days after he arrived they started for the summit. They started from the base camp to camp 4. But along the way they ran into problems. Like some people would get H.A.P.E. (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema). That is when you get fluids in your lungs by climbing too high, and too fast. Whenever this happened they would have to go back to the camp where they came from and go see a doctor. Also they had to deal with frostbite; whenever this happened the most likely solution was they might have to get that part amputated. But the scariest thing they had to deal with was death. People didn’t start dying until the end of the book; when they were almost at the summit and a very bad storm came along out of nowhere. People where running out of oxygen, and they couldn’t see where they were going. Some froze to death, and others fell off the mountain to their deaths.
I liked this book; however there were parts that were gross and disturbing. The way those people died. For some of them there were details, which made me feel really sad. Just thinking how those people died, thinking how Jon must have felt watching those people die and going through that. When those events happened in 1996 12 people died out of 19. This book is the story of the Mt. Everest Disaster that Jon Krakauer went through