Night by Elie Wiesel | Teen Ink

Night by Elie Wiesel

August 1, 2012
By BriLee BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
BriLee BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Keep Moving Forward.


Night is an incredible story from the eyes of a young boy who survived in a concentration camp during the Holocaust. You immediately get pulled in, and don’t have a problem getting through the book. It keeps moving, giving more and more details as you go, and pulling you in deeper and deeper.



This is a great book to read, especially if you enjoy reading about the holocaust. As Eliezer, the author, takes you through his journey in the camps, you see a side of that time that you have never seen before. The entire story is told through Wiesel’s eyes, with such detail that gives you the feeling of actually being there yourself.

When you read novels that are about times such as the Holocaust, you start to realize how bad that time really was, and it’s incredible to believe that such things could happen. Wiesel, having been lucky to survive, tells his story from start to finish, including every detail and every event that has any amount of significance.

At the beginning of the book, Wiesel is a faithful, young Jewish boy. He believes in his God, prays to Him, and worships Him. But as his life changes, and he is forced to change his lifestyle, he starts to question God, and wonder why he would allow such things to happen to His children. Wiesel begins to rebel against Him as he blames Him for everything that is going on in his country. Wiesel blames Him for the deaths, the crematoria, the broken families, and the work camps. As soon as the Nazis began to take over Wiesel’s life, that’s when he began to rebel against God. Believing that He, with His almighty power, had created those incredibly awful camps, and allowed such brutal things to be done to the men who have done nothing but worship Him for all of their lives. It was He who caused such pain to these men and for that, Wiesel rebelled.

Within the walls of any concentration camp, a Jew is considered nothing but a number. For as long as they are in those camps, they are known by these new “identities,” and only friends or family know their real names. Wiesel, called Eliezer by his father, only has 3 priorities in his life once he is put to work in the camps. Food, water, and taking care of his father become his life. Wiesel no longer cares what happens to him; he really has no life left.

Overall, this was an incredible and life-changing story. I am amazed by the hardships he faced and conquered. I would recommend this book to anyone, for it is such a great read, and I would read it again, over and over.