The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls | Teen Ink

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

By AmandaWood BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
AmandaWood BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

The Glass Castle is an absolutely astounding story written from the view of the author, Jeannette Walls. She takes you deep inside her mind as a young child to give you a truly horrifying understanding of the struggles she and her family had to face. Every page of The Glass Castle draws you in and you just never want to stop reading. I don’t believe that Walls wrote this book for the pity of others, but to show everyone that, no matter what you’re going through, you can make it through it and become the person you’ve always wanted to be and get the chance to live the life that you’ve always wanted to live.

Walls easily kept my attention throughout the whole entire book. There was never an area where I felt bored and didn’t want to continue reading. She made you feel like you were actually there with her and her family; trying to imagine what life would be like if you had to face the same everyday struggles. On every page, there was a new adventure or another hardship that they had no choice but to deal with. The Glass Castle really makes you think about what you would’ve done if you had gone through the same struggles as a child.

The Glass Castle ended up on The New York Times best seller list for a total of 261 weeks and also won several awards. Walls’ writing style is so intriguing; it keeps you coming back for more. The way she goes so in-depth with her descriptions of the places she lived really gives you an extremely clear picture in your mind of these places. The tragic struggles that she went through, especially the ones aimed directly at her, play like a scene in a movie; you can imagine every little detail so clearly.

The Glass Castle was altogether an inspiring and captivating book. Walls easily grabbed the attention of others through the compelling story of her life. This book really helps you believe that you can come out of a terrible situation okay. Walls made it through something that she believed she might never make it out of, but instead of hiding her past and erasing it from her mind, she used it to inspire others to make it out and be alright, just like she did. The Glass Castle is a story that will always stick with you.

on Aug. 24 2012 at 8:26 pm
Sammy Bird BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Great review! I liked how you described all of the lessons portrayed throughout the story. After reading this review, I am definitly interested in reading the book!

Kwells said...
on Aug. 23 2012 at 8:14 pm
Kwells, Reno, Nevada
I love how descriptive you were in your review and how you described the author's writing. You did a great job and made me feel what you were feeling. Good job Amanda!

on Aug. 19 2012 at 1:47 pm
Heatherose BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Amanda, you did a great job with this review. The words that you used were so amazing. You are an amazing writer and you should keep writing because you are so good at it. You really made me want to read this book. Keep up the good work!