Endurance Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing | Teen Ink

Endurance Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

By joshJC3 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
joshJC3 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Have you ever wondered what it was like to go to Antarctica in the 1900s? “She’s going boys; I think it’s time to get off.” These were the words of Sir Ernest Shackleton who was the leader of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition when their ship (The Endurance) sank before their eyes. In 1914 Shackleton and his crew of 27 men (excluding a stowaway) left England to conquer what no one else had done during the modern era. Explore and cross the barren land of Antarctica from the east to the west coast. For Shackleton, this would be a stepping stone in his career. Unfortunately they failed when their ship the Endurance remained trapped in an island of ice for ten months before being crushed and eventually sinking.

Without a ship Shackleton would face the decision to go on with the expedition or search for rescue. With little food to sustain 28 tired and hungry men a million miles away from home, Shackleton and his men do the impossible. In this story of survival and adventure the author lets you feel what these brave souls went through. From frostbitten legs to cold endless nights, you can feel the suffering and longing of be rescued.

When I read this book I felt that I too was longing of returning to the warmth and comfort of my home even though I was inside in my living room. I vividly imagined and tasted the unbearable rotten seal meat the men savaged upon for 2 years before being rescued. I could feel the chilling discomfort rise from my legs simulating the freezing conditions of the unbearable wasteland of the Great Antarctic.

The theme of the book is Endurance just like the name of the title. Endurance stands for all the strength, suffering, courage and endurance that it took for these strong, brave men to survive in the harsh, barren, lonely and below 0 temperature conditions of Antarctica.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in non-fictional stories of adventure, survival and hope. I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

When you think how great it would be to go to Antarctica and what it would be like to go there, rethink your answer after reading this great book. As the New York Times Book Review quoted, “This is one of the great adventure stories of our time.” Go for it.

ChanceS97 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
I'm glad to see people with different views than me on this book, I can tell that even though I couldn't really, you were able to connect with this book and enjoy it a lot.

Sebass BRONZE said...
Sebass BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Work hard, win EZ

Great review you make this book sound good.I will make sure to read this, it seems like an inspirational book