Night by Elie Wiesel | Teen Ink

Night by Elie Wiesel

July 31, 2012
By karikray BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
karikray BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

When I first started reading Night by Elie Wiesel, I assumed it was just going to be another play by play recap of the Holocaust. A story looking through the eyes of the average Jew being put through many treacherous things. In reality though, it was a lot more than that. Not only was the narrative of Elie terrifying, but also truly honest. It showed the amount of faith needed to survive in situations that are not exactly going your way. Throughout the whole story you read about how Elie wanted to show hatred towards God and questioned him ever so harshly and as much has he wanted to no longer believe in God, he knew losing faith would be the end of him. It in fact was an inspiring story which is one of the reasons why I loved it so much, it really makes you be grateful for all the little things in life.

Another thing I loved about Night was again, how honest it was. “If only I were relieved of this responsibility, I could use my overall strength to fight for my own survival, to take care of myself... I instantly felt ashamed of myself forever.” Was what Elie had said about his father when he became ill. Not only is that frowned upon for saying about a loved one, but it takes guts to come out and admit to thinking it. This bibliography you can tell was completely well made. There were no pointless thoughts or details that people learning about the holocaust, already new.

As for my dislikes, they were very minor. I just did not understand how the tale did not share his thoughts about his sister and mother. I get he knew they were dead, but I feel like the author could have portrayed his feelings towards those deaths a little bit more in detail.

Lastly, I would recommend Night by Elie Wiesel to all types if readers. Especially ones who are fascinated with the Holocaust just like me. You learn a lot of things you were not taught before such as workers received black coffee everyday and that a lot of the Jews still prayed over the deaths of many even though they had doubts about their God. That’s why I would also recommend this book to philosophers of Religion. In this story you get to know a lot of the normal Jewish things that take place. It’s a great book for getting an education on the truth.