Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer | Teen Ink

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

July 29, 2012
By Parker Lloyd BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Parker Lloyd BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Life is about finding your own way and getting an adventure out of it. Chris McCandless knew this and instead of pursuing an education he found his own way in life. I think this life style is acceptable to a point. Risking others or the person's well being can be more bad than good. The end of the book made me sad because the thing that I feared for Chris, happended. Being a loner and drifting from place to place was not healthy because he couldn't hold any relationships. I know if I were in Chris's shoes I would get incredibly lonely and go home. I wished the whole book he would come to the idea and pursue it but he didn't go back to his parents in Virginia. As this book went on I felt a sadness for his journey. To have it end that horribly just by following his heart. When Jon Krakauer wrote this book he did a lot of research on Chris's life and it really makes a great novel. You can take your own opinion on the point of this book but here is mine. He was a man with a great life but he seeked more for his exsistence. He planned to live off the land but it didn't go completely his way. Life is cruel and if you are not prepared you will perish. It's sad a man with so much potential had to die. Although meeting many people along the way he never stayed with them for too long. An example of this is Ronald Franz. He wanted to adopt and be a part of Chris's life but he was too stubborn to accept. I think his stubbornness assissted in his down fall. He was not prepared for the treacherous Alaska nature. I can somewhat relate to Chris's choice to be his own person and persue a dream. Instead of going the normal road of education,job,retirement he persued something he really wanted to do. If he would have been more aware and educated in survival he could have extended his life. If he would've accepted help from multiple people he could have been better off. Most people would find Chris crazy and stupid but he had a point with some of his statements. In chapter 11 he said that wealth is corrupting us. He believed this and gave his money to a charity instead of pursuing his parents wishes. He took his wits and skills to the outback and lost. I enjoyed this book very much and it taught me how stubborneness and not being prepared can end a life.