Night by Elie Wiesel | Teen Ink

Night by Elie Wiesel

July 27, 2012
By Sammy Bird BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Sammy Bird BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

In the book “Night” you will go on an adventure with the 15 year old Elie Wiesel as he and his family is sent from home to home during the Holocaust in World War II. This book will explain all of the hardships that Elie and his father endured during their stay at the concentration camp Auschwitz, and at the concentration camp Buchenwald.


“Night” is an amazing book! It shows you so much more about the Holocaust than you learn in your history class. Throughout this book you can truly feel the pain and emptiness of the main character, as well as you can see that he was dying slowly every day. As much as I am content that the Holocaust ended, you can never be truly happy, knowing that millions of people died, not only physically, but emotionally as well. When Elie is finally discovered and the thousands of other Jews are finally discovered being trapped in these concentration camps by the Americans, they are not as much happy as relieved. After they were discovered, they knew that they would never be the same, and few would ever actually be able to be happy ever again.

The way that Elie Wiesel wrote this book, you can’t help but get chills. In the book, he shows that over time, he began to lose his senses of fear, and of having his own opinions. With every extreme punishment they receive every day, they begin to stop being surprised, or just harmed at all. This truly amazes me more than anything in the book. The SS soldiers had beaten down those people so much, that they weren’t even alive anymore. Multiple times in the story, Wiesel describes himself as his body being separate from him.


The book “Night” will truly change the perspective you will have on life. After reading it, you are amazed at the easiness that we have in our current world. To read that book is hard enough, but to imagine that Elie Wiesel lived it is truly an unbearable feeling. Life is so much different today than it was during World War II. This book will make you change your perspective on life, and make you think how much easier we have it than we think that we do. I believe that this book is best read by high school students, or adults that have previous knowledge about the Holocaust. I recommend that everyone reads this book sometime in their life, and guarantee you that you will not be disappointed.