Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer | Teen Ink

Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer

By MorganT97 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
MorganT97 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

What made me want to read this book was why would Chris McCandless, a young man with a life that anyone would be grateful for, want to develop a whole new one? If only he knew how his life would end, he would have never even thought of taking one step into the wild.
At first Chris came across to me as very stubborn, who just wanted to make things hard for anyone who cared about him. Even as I read through the book I still felt that way, but I started to feel some sympathy for him. Chris was just one of those people who had to do things his way. From his writing, you can tell Jon Krakauer really cared about Chris. Without a doubt he put in the effort and research that it took to make this book as truthful as it could get.
At times it was confusing to keep track of where Chris was and who he was with, he was always on the move craving for something new and fresh. He met many people along the way, and created special relationships with strangers that he only knew for a couple of weeks. He was careful not to get too close, because he knew he would have to leave at some point. In my head I kept thinking why Chris was doing this. I just wanted to scream at him to go home! I didn’t want him to go to Alaska because I knew what would happen to him. And by the end of the book I was still troubled on why he set out to do this.
I liked how the author wasn’t too biased on how he thought of Chris. He wanted his readers to come up with an opinion of their own. For me, I respect Chris that he did what he set his mind to do, but at the same time I think he thought too highly of himself. He was too inexperienced about living in the wild, and that’s what cost his life. It makes you wonder the kind of person he would be today if he survived.
I recommend this book to anyone who likes traveling and adventure because this book is a good example of having a limit. You want to make sure that what you’re doing is worth it. You learn from mistakes, but not ones that end up being fatal.

ANT16 BRONZE said...
ANT16 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Your review is really good and originally "Into the wild" was one of the books I really wanted to read but didn't get the chance to. Based on your review and how you described Chris he seems like a pretty different but intriguing person and I hope to read more about him in this book.

Mercedes.BeNDZ BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

"If you're a monster, don't act human." - unknown

A very good review with lots of insight. I really felt your feelings toward Chris and his adventures. To bad we can't convince books to end how we would like

LongLazyDays55 BRONZE, Other, Other

I haven't failed. I just haven't found 10,000 ways that won't work. [Thomas Edison]

When words fail, music speaks.

Oh, I know this! As I was staring at the screen, this book review came up and I thought, "This sounds familiar." We watched the film in class once. Our teacher wanted us to think about how your actions can affect everyone around you. I'll admit we though he was crazy, going to live in the wild. But the movie really stuck with me and the ending is really sad. Good review! Keep writing! :D

Isabella D. said...
I didn't choose this book to read for my assignment, but after reading your review, I really want to read this book. It seems rather interesting. I love how you mentioned that throughout the story you were frustrated with the main character and his decisions. It shows how you really connected with the story. I really want to read this book and see what happens to the main character after reading your review.

nathanielkelly BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
I never thought about it that way, but now I have a new way to think of things.

jcayanan BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Chris seems to be an interesting person.