The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky MAG

By TristanRice BRONZE, Natchez, Mississippi
TristanRice BRONZE, Natchez, Mississippi

"I find myself to be the most spontaneously redundant person I'll ever halfway know."

If you're into awards and MTV, your starry eyes may have recently beheld the trailer of the movie “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.” Sounds weird, right? Well, try totally-wickedly-awesome!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is an epistolary-style first novel by Stephen Chbosky (isn't it fun to say that?). It lets the reader follow Charlie, an introvert who is trying to find his place in this puzzle of a world while feeling like that one piece that just doesn't belong until the right puzzlers come along and pop him into place.

Said puzzlers are Sam and Patrick, two seniors who sweep Charlie under their wings to take him to “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” football games, and on that drive with that perfect song to feel infinite.
You may think you're picking up just another book, but you are actually forming a connection with a boy who is just like the rest of us, seeing life through every pair of eyes possible

If you're into thinking beautiful thoughts, off-guard captivation, paper-cut causing page-turners, and teen angst (because who doesn't like to hear our side of the story?), this book is for you. And like they always say: the book has more than the movie. So please, before you go and buy overpriced tickets, watery drinks, and greasy popcorn, before you have to hear that one sick guy coughing up a lung in the back of the theater, please read the book first!

It won't short you in the feeling that is “infinite.”

My sincere love of this book was inspiration enough. I don't beg but would like if others would go and read this book.

on Jun. 6 2013 at 3:24 am
sempiternal_obsession SILVER, Camden, Tennessee

“Imagining isn't perfect. You can't get all the way inside someone else...But imagining being someone else, or the world being something else, is the only way in. It is the machine that kills fascists.”
― John Green, Paper Towns

I loved the way you wrote this. :) As I read, I felt like I was having flashbacks of the book.

Sonza SILVER said...
Sonza SILVER, Bhubaneswar, Other

An apple a day, if well aimed, keeps the doctor away. - P. G. Wodehouse

Very well written...........usually the book reviews are too boring and they sometimes dissuade you, but i liked the way you just suggested to read the book and didn`t put the knife near my neck to do so. I really do beleive that movies can never capture the story as done by a book..........GOOD JOB!!

theatregirl PLATINUM, Lathrup Village, Michigan

"To thine own self be true," -from Hamlet, a play by Shakespeare.
"I have sworn on the altar of god eternal hostility against all forms of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

i read this book before and even post a review about it. while not favorite book, i like your book review. most book review are like I loves this book! you have to read! they then go on to give the names of main characters and that's about it. You was well state and was  a good  balance between persusive and full on begging. Plus, i lik ehow suggest reading the book before movie instead just using fact it has movies as an excuse to read book. weel done. keep posting  

foreverSmall PLATINUM, Brighton, Michigan

Psalm 23:2-4

I have read the book AND seen the movie! Both are fantastic and true eye-openers. You have captured the beauty of someone else's work magnificently. This article will hopefully inspire even more people to do what you are influencing. Keep writing! 

JulesC GOLD said...
JulesC GOLD, Orlando, Florida

"It was cliché, he knew, but he meant it classic." ~S.E. Hinton (Some of Tim's Stories)

I have been inspired to go out and get this book