Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

By Sherry123 BRONZE, Asotria, New York
Sherry123 BRONZE, Asotria, New York

Catching Fire the continuation to The hunger games was an immensely thrilling book. After reading The Hunger Games I didn't think Suzanne would make the book even better. The novel was a great continuation to the first book in the series and did not ruin it at all. It was my favorite out of all three book's, Suzanne Collins really did a great job on continuing the main theme's in the first book, such as, adventures and living in a dystopian world. The genre over all is science fiction also for several reasons such as, the creatures that are presented in the book, and the fact that most of the things you read about in the series are not thing's/events that would normally occur in society. In the novel, you really got to see Katniss's brave and humble side and Peeta's loving and smart side.

After winning the Hunger Games Peeta and Katniss are not exactly off the hook yet and begin to face more problems than they would have ever thought. President Snow finds out about Katniss stunt with the berries and take’s it as a form of rebellion. He threatens her and involves the people she love's dearly. Katniss soon feels like she is the blame for many districts starting an uprising. The novel has a twist towards the middle when the president is announcing who will be the contestants for the third quetaer quell (75 year of the hunger game). Katniss and Peeta soon have to release who's life is more valuable their own or their partner. When facing another hunger game President Snow does not make it easy for Katniss this time, it is shown when katniss states "“I can only form one clear thought. This is no place for a girl on fire.” There is a lot of suspension in this book and it is very hard to figure out what will happen next.
The beginning of the novel picks up almost right where the first book leaves off when Katniss and Peeta return home to District 12 but, not until the middle did the book really start becoming a page turner and it was almost impossible for me to put it down with out finding out what was going to happen next. The novel is written in first person which is great because it allows you to see how the protagonist grows throughout the book and matures. Now that Katniss is considered a Mocking Jay, many people are starting to rely on her, even though "a mockingjay is a creature the Capitol never intended to exist". The book gives a more darker vibe than the first book and is targeted towards young children and adults as well. Anyone would enjoy reading the adventures Peeta and Katniss face.